FAC’s several categories of support for CASA eligible children (in state or tribal custody) are detailed below. These programs are intended to support children’s needs that are not otherwise provided for through OCS. Therefore, applicants must demonstrate that funding has been requested from OCS prior to submitting an application for funding to FAC: OCS Special Needs Hotline, OCS Special Needs Matrix.
Grant applications must be completed on behalf of the CASA eligible child by the child’s CASA, GAL, or Tribal representative through the FAC website or website forms down-loaded, completed, and mailed. Applications submitted by CASAs receive priority funding.
The Children and Family Needs Committee strives to respond to each application with ten (10) days of receipt. Payments on approved grants typically take seven (7) to fourteen (14) days to process.
Approved grants are paid on a reimbursement basis to the applicant and receipts are required. In the case of camperships or other costly requests, grants may be paid directly to the organization.
Campership grants are for a child’s participation in group educational experiences and programs. These experiences or programs could include summer camps, cultural, sports, or arts camps, sports programs such as soccer, volleyball, or football leagues, community band or orchestra, art and theater programs, and may include individual art/music lessons or one-time league memberships and related equipment/materials.
- One campership per CASA eligible child per fiscal year.
- Total spent per child will not exceed $500 per fiscal year.
- Eligible expenses may include enrollment or registration fees, travel and per-match competition fees. Supplies that are necessary for the program involved, and generally useful specifically for that program, also are eligible. For example, football pads required to participate.
Mini-grants are intended to cover items such as supplies and gear needed for sports and enrichment activities, tutors, special needs for clothing, or other children’s needs described and supported, in writing, by the applicant. Each CASA eligible child is eligible for up to $500 in mini-grants per fiscal year.
Families often have unique rules surrounding the use of electronics, and the risks inherent in social media, gaming, etc. Therefore, if you are requesting electronics, please note that FAC has developed specific funding criteria:
To qualify, applicants must be able to demonstrate:
- The device must be solely for therapeutic, educational, or OCS approved family contact needs.
- For family contact, that no other phone/device is available to the child to provide OCS approved family contact and other options for providing contact have been exhausted.
- No funding is available for devices for which another entity, such as OCS or the school, is legally responsible.
- Prior to purchase, FAC must have written approval, confirmation of internet access, and agreement to supervise use for the intended purpose from the current foster/family placement or family of origin – Placement Family Agreement.
FAC offers support to CASA eligible children’s family of origin, including relatives, such as meal and activity vouchers and children’s furnishings as FAC funds allow. Funding requests must detail how the support requested will benefit the child(ren). Each family is eligible for $500 in grants per fiscal year.
If you believe you have a situation that might qualify for an exemption to FAC guidelines, contact us at email@example.com.